We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
While hardwood floors definitely have the advantage of being easy to clean up after a spill, just like carpeting, hardwood floors can get dirty, damaged, and rough looking over time if not taken care of properly.
Not everyone has the money or inclination to completely strip and refinish their hardwood floors.
Because of this, a new process has been developed that can yield the same or similar results as a full blown refinish — without most of the headaches.
The process of doing dustless floor refinishing involves a technician scuffing the floor lightly, then adding a chemical to etch it.
After that, any minor damage to the hardwood floor is repaired before they apply the new top coat.
Here are the pros and cons of dustless floor refinishing for hardwood floors…
Advantages Of Dustless Floor Refinishing
1. Dustless floor refinishing only takes about a day, whereas traditional hardwood floor refinishing can take several days to complete.
2. Dustless refinishing is much less expensive than doing a full-blown floor refinishing process.
3. The process of dustless floor refinishing is better for those with allergies because there is much less wood dust floating in the air than there would be during a traditional floor refinishing project. In fact, some companies claim that they can get rid of up to 99% of the dust that would otherwise be left behind to settle in your home.
Disadvantages Of Dustless Floor Refinishing
1. Not all hardwood floors can be successfully repaired with dustless floor refinishing. If your hardwood floors are too damaged, traditional floor refinishing would be required.
2. Any type of floor refinishing reduces the life of your hardwood floors because you are sanding off a layer of wood each time.
3. No method is 100% dustless, no matter what the company says. Even with dustless refinishing there is still going to be a small amount of dust that will settle in your home.
Hardwood floor refinishing… before and after:
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.